Thursday, September 8, 2011

Kiama

This past week has been quite a difficult one, with Father’s Day and also the loss of a friend of my mum’s to cancer last Thursday. My mum was meant to be going into the city for a weekend with a choir she is in but felt it would all be a bit much after the news of her friends passing so we decided to go down to Kiama for the weekend and stay in a friend’s caravan.

I always love the south coast but this weekend seemed to be more vivid than other times. To know that someone had just had their time cut short seemed to make everything we did so much more meaningful.

Mum and I generally spend most of our holidays drinking coffee, sitting in the sun and reading. This weekend was no different, but it felt like such a privilege to be able to do these things and to share them with someone I love.

It really is the simple things in life that make you the happiest. It is a shame that it takes such devastating events to remind us of how lucky we are in the everydayness of life. I hope you enjoy these photos that come from a very special weekend.

On the second night in Kiama I went out to take photos of the area, and as always I just felt so excited to have this lovely camera to experience the world through. Dusk is my favourite time to take photos-the light is just so beautiful. Just when I think I have ‘got’ a shot, 10mins later when I look over my shoulder the light has totally transformed the subject- it really is magical. These are some photos of the lighthouse at the blow hole.  

Kiama_6

Kiama_7

Kiama_4  

I didn’t use a tripod for these shots which was definitely pushing it but I just love the colours that came up in these beautiful buildings. I think these photos actually looked better than what the buildings actually looked like in real life.

Kiama_8

Kiama_10  

The next morning we went down to the beach to have a wander and I just laughed my heart out watching this man ‘flipper’ into the surf. I don’t think anyone could do this gracefully!

Kiama_11 

I highly recommend the coffee chocolate shop in the main street of Kiama. Their little chocolates were amazing, especially the orange chocolate, such a great combination. Great coffee too. What more could you want.

                                    Kiama_12

Kiama_13

Kiama_14

I hope you have all had a wonderful week. I would like to dedicate this week’s blog to my Dad and Helen- thank you for being part of our lives, you are definitely thought of and missed.

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this week's blog. I think all your blogs are great but this one has really touched me. You are so right - life is precious and is to be savoured. You have a wonderful ability to really see the beauty and simplicity that abounds all around you and in each moment. This is what you share with us and we then see it too. You embody the qualities of grace and gratitude - a wonderful foundation for living joyfully. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Firefly,

    Thanks so much for your lovely words. I am so glad that you too can see what I see. Life is definately precious and to be savoured. Thanks again for stopping by.

    Ruby-Robin ox

    ReplyDelete