Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Creative Space

I decided a few months ago that each week, or at least each fortnight, I would cook something I had never attempted before so I wouldn’t get stuck in my ‘usual 4 most loved dishes rut’. Subconsciously I think I have also been influenced by what the Master Chef contestants are cooking up and it has made me realise how much creative potential there is in the kitchen.

I decided I really wanted to try making Chinese wantons from scratch. I had a lot of fun and found a great recipe and I have to admit am slightly addicted to them at the moment. They are vegetarian wantons and they are amazing; shallots, chives, choy sum, garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander…ah so so good.  Wonton Wrapper Making

As amazing as it is to eat wantons from freshly made dough, I word of advice; it is harder and more time consuming than you might think because the wrappers need to be very thin so they don’t taste ‘doughy’ when they are steamed. Still an art I am yet to perfect.

There is something so cleansing about eating steamed, fresh food straight out of a bamboo steamer.To be unveiled

Wonton Goodness

Its a hard life 

I also loved making the dipping sauce; soy sauce, chilli, lime, peanut oil, sesame oil….yum! I had forgotten the joys of eating with chopsticks and drinking copious cups of tea with a meal. There are some great things about the experience of Asian cuisine.

For love of chilli and soy sauce 

As you can see I didn’t enjoy it very much lol…

Not enjoyed at all...lol

Check out other people’s creative spaces at Kootoyoo.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh the wantons look delicious. How clever of you to make them from scratch! Sounds like a yummy meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I too have been inspired by Masterchef to be more creative in the kitchen. They look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete